Spironolactone: instructions for use
Spironolactone potassium belongs to the pharmacological group of potassium-saving diuretics. The active ingredient of the drug is a competitive aldosterone antagonist that acts on the distal tubules of the kidneys. It works by increasing the excretion of water with urine, which is seen in the treatment of high blood pressure; edema associated with heart or liver and kidney disease, hypokalemia or, for example, hyperaldosteronism. Sometimes the drug is prescribed to treat acne and prevent hair loss.
Spironolactone exhibits these forms of pharmacological action:
Blocking the effect of aldosterone on the renal tubules.
Inhibition of water retention in the body.
Retention of potassium in the body.
Increasing sodium and chloride excretion.
One dose of Spironolactone has a maximum effect in 7 hours, which lasts for 24 hours.
Indications for use
Generic Aldactone is prescribed for the following conditions:
- all stages of hypertension;
- high blood pressure;
- hypokalemia - lack of calcium in the body;
- heart failure, provoking edema syndrome;
- hyperaldosteronism - a form of adrenal dysfunction;
- nephrotic syndrome accompanied by edema;
- prophylaxis of hypokalemia in long-term administration of cardiac glycosides (e.g., digoxin);
- cirrhosis of the liver, accompanied by edema.
The drug is prescribed only under the strict supervision of a physician, self-treatment is inadmissible!
Spironolactone is taken in the following dosage, depending on age and disease:
Children are prescribed Spironolactone tablets at the rate of 1-1.3 mg per 1 kg of body weight 3-4 times a day. After a five-day course, the doctor adjusts the dose.
Adults are indicated to take Spironolactone in nephrotic edema, cirrhosis, and heart failure - 100-200 mg of the drug (it is possible to titrate the dose starting with 25 mg of the drug).
In hypokalemia, the dose is 25-100 mg; in hypertension, 50-100 mg of Spironolactone should be taken.
In acute hyperaldosteronism, the dose is increased to 400 mg, if there are no contraindications.
Administration of Spironolactone is carried out once or twice a day. The attending physician determines the course of therapy. For different forms of the disease, the duration of intake may vary from a few days to continuous intake.
Possible interactions with:
- Salicylates (decreased diuretic effect);
- Other diuretics (increased diuresis);
- Antihypertensive agents, especially with ganglion blockers (increased hypotensive effect);
- Potassium and potassium-saving diuretics (increases the risk of hyperkalemia);
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (increasing risk of hyperkalemia);
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (increasing risk of hyperkalemia);
- Fludrocortisone (paradoxical increase in potassium excretion);
- Digoxin (increased half-life of Digoxin);
- Carbenoxolone (decreased action of Carbenoxolone);
- Neomycin (decreases absorption of Spironolactone);
- Ammonium chloride (increases the risk of acidosis);
- Mitotan (decreases the effectiveness of Mitotan);
- Coumarin derivatives (decreases their efficacy);
- Triptorelin, Buserelin, Gonadorelin (increases their effect);
- Antipyrine (increases metabolism of Antipyrine).
Spironolactone weight loss
The main effect of Spironolactone is to treat fluid retention, which increases the body weight due to water. However, diuretics effectively flush only water out of the body, but not fat deposits. Therefore, even if it is possible to reduce the body weight, after a few days the weight will be back to the same.
Spironolactone: Blood pressure
Spironolactone is one of the medicines prescribed for high blood pressure. It is used with other medications in patients with resistant high blood pressure (HBP that does not respond to standard treatment).
Hypersensitivity to Spironolactone and any of the drug components:
1. Addison's disease.
2. Increased potassium and low sodium.
3. Renal insufficiency.
5. Lactose deficiency, lactose intolerance.
6. Pregnancy and lactation (breastfeeding).
7. Childhood under 3 years of age.
Spironolactone is used for some types of headaches, such as migraine. Since migraine can occur due to fluid retention in the body and swelling of half of the brain, the drug is used to eliminate the cause. Spironolactone drains fluid from the body and therefore reduces the pressure of the cerebrospinal fluid on the brain, which reduces edema. Migraine or headaches are relieved or disappear.
Best time to take Spironolactone
If you only need one dose a day, it is better to take Spironolactone 100 mg in the morning, so you can sleep through the night.
The drug is taken under the supervision of a doctor, so consultation and a prescription are so important. If you do not have time to get a prescription, you can buy Spironolactone online in our online pharmacy. The cost of the drug includes a prescription from an experienced doctor, who works in the staff of the pharmacy.
Nausea is one of the most common side effects of medications. Almost all medications can cause an upset stomach. Do not take more than the necessary dose to avoid adverse reactions or allergies. Tell your doctor if you have any side effects.
Adverse reactions to Spironolactone therapy
Spironolactone 100 mg can cause side effects, including:
- muscle spasm, decreased potency;
- allergies with compulsive itching, medicine and nettle fever, skin rashes;
- painful sensations in the mammary glands;
- absence of menstruation or recurrent discomfort with every period;
- excessive hair growth;
- menopausal bleeding;
- dyspepsia, intestinal cramps, gastritis, stomach ulcers, abdominal pain;
- drowsiness, dizziness, lethargy;
- impaired movement coordination;
- Increased alkaline and urea values in the blood stream.
At laboratory diagnosis, adverse reactions are manifested by a decrease in the number of neutrophils, a deficiency of folic acid, and platelets.read more